Tuesday 20 August 2019

What will it take?



Everyone has stories worth telling. 

I grew up hearing stories from my grandparents and parents about incidents in their lives. I even find myself telling my children and grandchildren about stories of my childhood and my life. I also tell stories of my brother's life because he is not here to tell them.

My Dad had an accident with his hand and that gave him the time to write the stories his grandchildren were always interested in hearing. 

My Dad had never been one to sit around. He liked to keep busy and active. Even in his mid 80s he was playing golf and tennis, working out at the gym and taking walks in the beach. He scoffed at some of his friends who sat at their computers all day. Doing what, he didn't know. The scope of his technology was programming their TV box and wiring up the stereo throughout the house.

Then one day he was in the workshop and ran his fingers through the saw with the wood. Two were just nicked but one tip was cut off. At the hospital they were able to put it back with a thin rod sticking through and up to hold it together. No more golf, tennis or gym! 

My cousin's husband gave him his first computer, showed him how to use it, and that was the beginning of a 180 page biography of his life with family and friends.





He did it all on Word, with help from family from time to time to show him how to add images and fix something he messed up because of worsening glaucoma. He then had copies made and spiral bound at Staples.

For me it was a Christmas gift from my daughter of Storyworth that started me on that journey. I answered a year of questions and added photos to make books for my children, which they got the next Christmas.



What will it take for you to write YOUR stories?



   

2 comments:

  1. Good for your dad! What a gift for future generations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is. We all treasure our copies, now he’s gone.

      Delete

Leave me a note to tell me you were here! Thanks for visiting.

By joining our Facebook Group you get other genealogy news from time to time, and you can download pages of links that go with the posts.

Popular Posts