Thursday 22 August 2019

The Scottish Antiquary



... or Northern Notes & Queries (and Replies)




The Scottish Antiquary was a magazine that began in 1886, and was modeled after the English Notes & Queries, and intended for archeologists (including genealogists and historical societies). It published many interesting historical facts, transcriptions of parish registers (often continued from one volume to the next), names of Watchmakers, Glassmakers, Merchants Company members, and many other lists of names. There are also replies to queries from subscribers. Some volumes have pedigrees or portraits...



In Vol III I found three mentions of my Tait ancestors... 
~ the marriage of my 10th ggf George Tait to Janet Bryden in the Perth register 1571
~ an apprentice of goldsmith James Tait passes his assay
James Tait witness to a runaway marriage

Runaway marriages are elopements. Like Gretna Green, the Holy Trinity Church in Haddington in East Lothian was a destination for those wanting to elope and the Reverend there had three volumes titled Runaway Registers. The marriage parties are from all over Scotland and England (I even spotted a groom from Virginia!). Use the search box to see if any of your ancestors are mentioned as a bride, groom or witness. Bartholomew Bower must have been a clerk of the church, as he is witness to many of the marriages.



Following are links to a few of the gems I discovered in these pages. Check the Contents at the beginning and the indexes at the back of the volumes to find hidden gems. Also use the search box for family surnames.


Relevant links


















7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful source for anyone with a Scottish heritage. I think I have read too many of the books in the Outlander series, because I instinctively went to "Rebel prisoners at Inverness 1746" looking for Jamie Fraser! Never found him, but I did find Dougal MacKenzie! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also an Outlander fan. One of my ancestor's half brother was a Jacobite, but he fled to France. He is mentioned in the series of books Jacobite Grenadiers" by Gavin Wood. Easy reads and very interesting.

      Delete
    2. LOL. It's hard to believe Jamie isn't real.

      Delete
  2. What a fascinating publication! I don't have much in the way of Scottish ancestry, but I will definitely add this to my list of resources to check for when something comes up. Thanks for sharing, Dianne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Under the Resources tab on the menu I have many lists of resources. I have ancestors from all over too! Thanks for visiting,

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to check it out for my Carmichael's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fascinating resource that is not widely known. Thank you for highlighting it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note to tell me you were here! Thanks for visiting.

By joining our Facebook Group you get other genealogy news from time to time, and you can download pages of links that go with the posts.

Popular Posts