Sunday 21 August 2016

Serendipity Sunday - Remarkable Shipwrecks and Naval Disasters



This week I have been taking a new direction in my research. I am looking into the descendants of my 9th great grandfather, Ambrose Frost born 1610 in Moretonhampstead (sometimes written Moreton Hampstead), Devon, England.

In so doing I came across a Gilbert Frost in this publication...






Fortunately Gilbert was not shipwrecked, but rather a name on the subscribers list for New York.  This gives me another avenue to follow.  Gilbert is a common name in the Frost Family and it looks like one of them immigrated to America. 

I do have a 5th great uncle Gilbert Frost that was in the Royal Navy.  According to Silvester Treleavens Diary, word was received in Moretonhampstead on July 7th 1800 that Gilbert died aboard the HMS Edgar (74 Guns) off the coast of France.





2 comments:

  1. Gilbert Frost is also my 9 x grt grandfather. I came across your blog while looking for information about him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In case you didn’t know about them there are two websites to check out.
      One is Frost Genealogy page https://wc.rootsweb.com/trees/144830/I17533/ambrose-frost/individual

      The other is Silvester Treleavens Diary at http://www.moretonhampstead.org.uk/texts/sources/trel1799.ghtml

      Delete

Leave me a note to tell me you were here! Thanks for visiting.

By joining our Facebook Group you get other genealogy news from time to time, and you can download pages of links that go with the posts.

Popular Posts