Monday 15 March 2021

Fille du Roi as Occupation?

 

If you have roots in 1600s Quebec, you likely have a few Filles du Roi or Filles a Marier on your tree. 

 



I did the genealogy of the family of a friend and they had many Filles a marier and Filles du Roi on their tree. I wanted to highlight them in my genealogy report. I found that the easiest way to keep track of them and make a list was to put Fille du Roi or Fille a Marier as an Occupation fact for that person. 


I am a big fan of the free program FT Analyzer for it's great features. I downloaded the gedcom for the above tree and uploaded it to FT Analyzer, then clicked on Occupations...




You can see that on this tree there are 10 Filles a Marier and 8 Filles du Roi. Clicking on the the occupation will give a list of persons with that occupation. This one is for the Filles a marier.




Although I have no Filles du Roi, I find it handy when looking on my tree for my ancestors that had a certain occupation.


The trick is to be consistent with how you write the occupation. You can see in the sample above I wrote the occupation mason three ways... mason, maçon, maitre maçon, whereas I was more consistent with the soldiers, starting the occupation with Soldat.





1 comment:

Leave me a note to tell me you were here! Thanks for visiting.

By joining our Facebook Group you get other genealogy news from time to time, and you can download pages of links that go with the posts.

Popular Posts