Sunday 22 November 2020

Looking for Ireland will dates - finding a hidden gem!

 


Today I am so grateful for the school system that taught me how to quickly scan down a long list of names.

I was on the Family Search website in the Ireland Probate section, checking all that would have surnames with the letter S




I was mostly looking for my earlier ancestors that were in Ireland. When I clicked on Index to Administration Grants O-Z 1595-1810 and scrolled through I found an unexpected gem!

I know I could have clicked on the Search symbol and searched for all with the name Seale, and I did do that first, but I never would have found this record as the name was transcribed with a C as Scale. Besides you never know if you'll come across a name you recognize.

I navigated to the S names (that are not in alphabetic order by the way, only order of date) going past the earlier years to before the first known year I have ancestors there, about 1680, looking for the Seale name in Queen's County. Scanning past lots of Searle and Sale... the first entry I came across was Image 187, will for Thomas Seale, carpenter, died in Trim, Meath in 1690. That is a new name and place to me, so it goes on my list of things to check into. 

I continued scrolling through the S names, page after page.. oh there's another one. Hey! What?? It is for a Marriage License issued to Richard Seale and Margaret Higgs !! This jibes with the Pedigree of Seales that Richard was married to a Margaret, and didn't have her surname or a date. Now I do!




For 1712, SEALE Richard and Higgs Margaret - ML #15

The Index to Administration Grants have a lot of Marriage License entries, I found a couple of other Seale marriage license entries. The other record sets seem to be all Wills or Intestate. 

Now I know why I have distant dna matches to people with the surname Higgs!


Relevant Links





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note to tell me you were here! Thanks for visiting.

By joining our Facebook Group you get other genealogy news from time to time, and you can download pages of links that go with the posts.

Popular Posts