Sunday 5 May 2019

Ploughing Match



Ploughing Matches were contests between local farmers to see who was the best ploughman. Whether pulled by oxen, horse, steam or tractor, the matches have been a much anticipated event for centuries. 






They were usually held on a lucky local farmer's field. Notices of the matches for the upcoming season were posted in papers and agricultural journals.




The rules are listed on the next page.

In 1871 the Stalmine Ploughing Association held their annual match on Grange Farm occupied by my 3x great uncle James Singleton.


Ploughing Match, Stalmine Lancashire, 1871



Results of ploughing matches were posted in the local newspapers, agricutural journals, state board of agriculture reports, or even sessional papers. Points were awarded for straightness and neatness. 

My Carter and Singleton ancestors often placed in the Lancashire matches, as did my Bruce ancestors in the Aberdeenshire matches. Robert Bruce, son of my 3x great grandfather of Upper Knaven, Fyvie attended the match in Methlic and came in 4th.


Aberdeen Journal, 14 Jan 1852

Ploughing matches have today gone international and become big exhibitions including other events. There are classes for horse-drawn and tractor pulled ploughs.






Local jewelers, silversmiths or goldsmiths were given the task of making medals to give to the prize winners. 







Relevant links


Lower Canada Agriculturist

Manitoba ploughing match prize winners 1915










6 comments:

  1. I'd never heard of such a thing--but it does make sense. In Vermont, we had an annual horse pull, which was a test of how much weight the horse could drag and ultimately deemed too cruel to the animals to continue. The horse pull was replaced by a tractor pull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. County Agricultural Exhibitions and Country Fairs sure do make for a fun day out!

      Delete
  2. How fascinating! I have never heard of this and since I have many agricultural labourers and farmers in my family I will now be searching newspapers for these ads. Thankyou for your interesting story about
    a resource I had not thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice idea! Thanks. We had ploughing matches in British Columbia, Canada. I know there are newspapers articles and some research has been done. And I had family in Manitoba. I wonder if any of my family members were involved. More work! More genealogy!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note to tell me you were here! Thanks for visiting.

By joining our Facebook Group you get other genealogy news from time to time, and you can download pages of links that go with the posts.

Popular Posts