Monday 22 February 2016

Devon Genealogy Resources



My maternal grandmother's ancestors are the King family of Loddiswell, in the South Hams district of Devon, England. I lucked out finding a distant cousin who had done some research and between us we discovered even more. I have two 5x great grandfathers named King that lived in Loddiswell. With the help of two King wills and the Devon Tithe Apportionments with corresponding maps I was able to map quite a bit of the property they once owned.



My line of Kings were millers and malters. They owned the Loddiswell Mill, which was later called the Avon Milling Company.  My 5x great grandfather Clement King left the mill and some land to his eldest son Thomas, who left it to his son John Clement, who died young, unmarried and no children. John Clement King left his estate to his two sisters and it was his brother-in-law Philip Foale that was named as owner when the Mill was advertised for rent in 1874.




After Phlip Foale's wife Susanna King died in 1884 the mill and land were put up for sale. Just look at the amount of information I can glean from this newspaper article!!


Clement's granddaughter, Avis King from Woodleigh, was married to William Willing and he was the miller at New Mill in Loddiswell, where the couple lived.

There are quite a few online publications and websites that helped me find more about these ancestors to tell the story of their life. In searching for these I found others that may help you with your ancestors. I have put all my Devon links, and a few others for the UK, into a PDF that you can download and share.


Relevant Links

Devon Genealogy Resources

List of Devon Newspapers




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note to tell me you were here! Thanks for visiting.

By joining our Facebook Group you get other genealogy news from time to time, and you can download pages of links that go with the posts.

Popular Posts