Friday 25 September 2020

Use Ancestor Projects to try to break your brick wall

 

When you upload your dna data to GEDmatch you may get an overwhelming amount of matches from just about every genealogy dna company.

There is a way to narrow down the pool and connect with those that may hold the key to your success in breaking your brick wall. GEDmatch has many tools to help you, and I like the Ancestor Project tool. 

Ancestor Projects is still marked as new though it has been around for a little while now, and there are many projects to choose from. There are DNA projects for countries, areas within a country, surnames, ethnic groups, etc. 

I have joined a few, one being the county in Ireland where my Seale family is from. I also joined a group for Lanakrshire, Scotland as I am stuck on my Thomson line in and around Glasgow.

Here's how it works.  Under DNA Applications click on Ancestor Projects





Scroll down to the projects available, looking at the name of the project and the description. When you find one that may help you click the Join button, answer the questions and give your GEDmatch number. You will hear back from the group within a day or two and then follow their instructions. 

Most of these projects are connected to a Facebook group or a website, where you can connect with your matches within that group. Others you may have to email the administrator. 

TIP: If you are trying to go waaay back you may try lowering the threshold to 5 or 6.





3 comments:

  1. Interesting. I have a lot of DNA relatives who have Seale tracing back to a presumably English immigrant Virginia in the late 1600's, Henry Seale and his son Anthony Seale. I have yet to figure our link and I may have lost a lot of them in Ancestry's purge of low cm DNA relatives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer our Seales originally came from England.

      Delete
    2. I have one match from Virginia, two from Georgia, two from Barbados, a couple from England, one in Australia and a couple from Ireland

      Delete

Leave me a note to tell me you were here! Thanks for visiting.

By joining our Facebook Group you get other genealogy news from time to time, and you can download pages of links that go with the posts.

Popular Posts