Wednesday 25 September 2019

Genealogy gems found in Newspapers



Newspapers can yield much more than birth and marriage announcements and obituaries. Not every newspaper prints the same columns in every issue or every year, but I have found ancestors listed in unexpected ways.

Sometimes you know of an event to do with your ancestor, but you don't know the date it occurred. 

I knew from censuses that one great-great-grandfather was a victualer, but since when? Then I found in the newspaper when he bought and sold his license under License Transfers in Liverpool.




I knew that another great-great-grandfather sold his farm and moved in to town, but I didn't know when. I found it under Property Transfers in the regional newspaper.





My great-great-grandmother traveled from Montreal to Bisbee, AZ when her daughter died and spent a night in a hotel in Tombstone. Look for Hotel Arrivals




Under Shipping News or equivalent the newspapers sometimes printed a passenger list...





My great-great-grandfather King's siblings immigrated to Australia. His sister's husband died in Melbourne in 1910 and this was in the newspaper a couple months later... 




Returns of banks in Aberdeen newspapers give ancestor name, address and occupation...



Below is a list of just some of the newspaper columns where you may discover your ancestors. How many can you find? 

Download the list and keep it handy when researching your relatives. 



Relevant Links

List of Common Newspaper Columns






11 comments:

  1. I bookmarked this post for future reference. The list you provided is a great resource!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I could have posted many more examples but chose a few people are most likely to see, and from different areas of my research. I have learned so much even just lately, as new newspapers are being digitized.

      Delete
  2. If I ever retire, I certainly will have plenty to occupy my time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think so... but I find there are still not enough hours in the day :-)

      Delete
  3. I so love your discoveries! What amazing finds. Newspapers are awesome for such finds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very helpful! I have also found ancestral information in odd places in newspapers. One of my favorites is a column listing the names of people who had mail at the post office that they had not picked up. If nothing else, it confirms that the person was likely living in that community around the time the letter was delivered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one to add to the list!
      My favourite is the land transfers.. I have quite a few that confirm dates of when ancestors moved.

      Delete
  5. I love browsing through old newspapers - you can discover the history of events - personal, local, national etc as viewed at the time - and come up, as you say with fascinating gems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I also like to check the weather when person events happened for when I write their stories.

      Delete

Leave me a note to tell me you were here! Thanks for visiting.

By joining our Facebook Group you get other genealogy news from time to time, and you can download pages of links that go with the posts.

Popular Posts