Monday 21 January 2019

Jewelers, Watchmakers and Optometrists




I find that most of my DNA matches are on my mother's father's line. Specifically that of my 2x great grandfather's brother, Francis Mavor that immigrated to New Brunswick with his large family. We are doing a little give and take - they are taking me forward and I am taking them back. There are not many relatives around on my side, as many of my 2x ggf's children had no offspring, or their children never married, so it is nice to have people to share my research with. 

In my 12 Days of Ancestors, day 5 post I wrote about two of Francis' grandsons who owned Mavor Bros Jewelers and Watchmakers. Jewelers would also do engraving, make pins and badges, and some sold eyeglasses. 

In the 1920 January issue of The Trader, the official publication of the Canadian Jeweler, James and George placed an ad to hire a watchmaker.





In the October 1923 issue of The Optical Journal and Review of Optometry there was a small notice that James Mavor is congratulated on the birth of a daughter. 






If your ancestor was a jeweler he may be mentioned in one of these publications. 



Relevant Links

Jeweler's Circular

Canadian Jewellers Association

The Trader and Canadian Jeweler

The Watchmaker & Jeweller, Silversmith & Optician
























5 comments:

  1. thanks for the article, my late husband and I were in the trade in BC, brought back memories, seeing the posts and old journals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know what can be found in old trade journals.
      Thanks so much for visiting.

      Delete
  2. I don't think I have any jewelers as ancestors, but you never know when the resources might come in handy! (I've used trade journals to get occupational details for characters in my historical fiction.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz!
      I didn’t know I did until I googled his name, clicked on books, and he popped up in a journal! Haha

      Delete

Leave me a note to tell me you were here! Thanks for visiting.

By joining our Facebook Group you get other genealogy news from time to time, and you can download pages of links that go with the posts.

Popular Posts