Monday 11 September 2017

From Hatter to Coremaker




I had found my great grandfather's brother on the 1921 Canada census for Montreal saying he was a hat maker. Wow, what an interesting trade!  I even found George King, owner of King Hat Company in the City Directory for Montreal. So I looked up everything I could on hatters and hat bleaching. 





Wrong!  I hadn't done much research on him as I have been busy with my direct lines. Yesterday I thought with all this info I have on hatters I can write a post, so I started delving more into his life. I hadn't found the 1881 census so I checked at LAC and there was George King, hat bleacher, 15 years older than my George and married to someone else. Not my George!  


I did my due diligence and discovered that my George H King was a coremaker for the Grand Trunk Railroad, making molds for the wheels. I did find out from a cousin that George, at the age of 12, delivered the very first edition of the Montreal Star in his neighbourhood. 

Oh well, you live and learn and hopefully pay better attention the next time. 
Here is the information I gathered on hatters and milliners, hats, caps and bonnets.



Relevant Links




















2 comments:

  1. Dianne, this is a wonderful resource! I can't wait to check these out; I had a 3rd great grandmother who went from Scotland to Montreal to the Townships who was a straw bonnet maker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a fascinating trade. I love all the old hats and bonnets in the photos of my ancestors.

      Delete

Leave me a note to tell me you were here! Thanks for visiting.

By joining our Facebook Group you get other genealogy news from time to time, and you can download pages of links that go with the posts.

Popular Posts