Sunday 29 January 2017

Canada 150 - The Lunar New Year





During our country's 150th anniversary celebration of confederation I will write posts titled Canada 150 with a link to a publication or website I find that may help you tell the story of your Canadian ancestors.
Click on the Canada 150 label on the right or at the bottom to see all the posts.

Today I have for you...

In honour of the Lunar New Year



People from all Asian countries now call Canada home.

Yesterday was Chinese New Year. My husband and I went to our favourite Chinese restaurant for dinner last night and the owner and our waitress were surprised when I wished them a Happy New Year. I guess the locals don't think of it. We were given extra special almond cookies for dessert, as well as the traditional fortune cookies.

We call it Chinese New Year but it is actually the Lunar New Year, as Vietnam and Korea also celebrate New Year on January 28th this year.  The Japanese also celebrated the Lunar New Year up until 1873, when they switched to the Gregorian calendar and now celebrate on Jan 1st.

Mongolia and Tibet celebrate their New Year on February 27th this year. Other Asian countries don't celebrate their New Year until April.  You can see a list here. 



Relevant Links

The Chinese in Ontario







No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note to tell me you were here! Thanks for visiting.

By joining our Facebook Group you get other genealogy news from time to time, and you can download pages of links that go with the posts.

Popular Posts