Monday 19 December 2016

Voting Scandal



Oh boy!  My Nichols ancestors are in trouble again. My great-great-grandmother's brother, Stephen Nichols was accused of bribing the good people of Totnes to vote for John Pender in the election of 1863.


 In this part of the testimony Henry Crawford testifies that his brother-in-law Stephen Nichols bribed him with £60 to vote for John Pender.





In this part it is Mrs Crawford (Sarah Nichols), the sister of Stephen Nichols that testifies that she did indeed receive £60 from her brother to vote for John Pender.





The committee reported that they found John Pender guilty of bribery in the 1863 elections of Totnes.





In this publication there is a list of fictitious voters in the Scotland elections of 1837


You will find evidence of election rigging in government papers of most countries.



Relevant Links











2 comments:

  1. I have second cousins think it is , two brothers, that were accused of passing counterfeit 2 Pounds think it was one was hanging the other sent to Australia. Think you have given me something to add to my Merging Roots blog - Little bits of those ancestors that stand out for some reason :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could be an inspiration! Isn't it fun to find those little bits of a persons life, good or bad?!?

      Delete

Leave me a note to tell me you were here! Thanks for visiting.

By joining our Facebook Group you get other genealogy news from time to time, and you can download pages of links that go with the posts.

Popular Posts